Join our team
We are always interested in hearing from individuals looking to join our team.
Easel Painting Conservator
We are seeking a full-time Easel Painting Conservator with at least three years working experience in Painting Conservation to join our busy Carlisle, Cumbria studio.
- Verbal and written assessments, condition and treatment proposals and reports.
- Examination and treatment of historic and artistic paintings, painted surfaces and artefacts in the studio and on-site.
- Familiarity and adherence to the ICON practices of conservation and museum-quality standards.
- Removal of varnish and re-varnishing, surface cleaning (from dirt, mould etc.), removal of over-painting and retouching of oil paintings and artworks.
- Repair of complex tears, dents, flaking paint, cracked and warped supports, or delamination.
- Ability to complete routine filling, lining, stretching, in-painting with minimally intrusive techniques.
- Accurately match colours, paint application appearance and techniques of artists.
- Cleaning, repair and gilding of frames.
- Working under own initiative in a fast-paced team environment.
- Solve complex treatment issues and work under pressure to meet deadlines whilst upholding confidentiality and ethical standards.
- Demonstrate sound judgment, risk management and an eye for detail.
- Excellent communication and organisational skills.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- EDUCATION: Degree in Art Conservation, or commensurate conservation apprentice training and experience.
- EXPERIENCE: At least 3 years of painting and painted surface conservation. Working knowledge of art history, chemistry, studio art technique and ICON conservation standards are a must.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a vibrant, and ever-growing team, based on the edge of the Lake District.
- Excellent salary – dependent on experience
- 20 days annual leave plus Bank Holidays
To apply for this position, please email [email protected] with a Cover Letter and CV addressed to Mr Chris Bull.