Stratfield Saye – Home of the Duke of Wellington
An historic oil painting from the Duke of Wellington’s collection was recently discovered in the attic at the Duke’s Stratfield Saye estate. The hatchment had suffered some damage and was evidently in a very fragile condition.
After being contacted by Stratfield Saye, we visited the Hampshire residence and were able to provide an on-site assessment and guidance on how to proceed with the restoration.
- Identify the cause of the soot ingress via CCTV chimney surveys and asbestos testing.
- Create an inventory, pack and transport all damaged contents.
- Establish values and cleaning costs for each item.
- Decontaminate and clean all 8000 objects.
- Provide climate controlled secure storage at our studio for the cleaned items. Decontaminate and clean the property.
- Following the cleaning of the property, return and re-house all objects.
- 8000 items fully restored and returned
- Significant reduction on insurance claim
We worked in our studios and on-site at the property for this diverse restoration, which focused on many disciplines of conservation.